Monday, December 28, 2009

Can I use baking soda instead of baking powder?

Im making vegan pancakes and I only have baking soda.Can I use baking soda instead of baking powder?
Use 1/3 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar for 1 tsp baking powder; or 1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/3 cup sour milk (if allowed).Can I use baking soda instead of baking powder?
right out of Wikipedia answers





You can substitute them - but it's really hard to get it right.





Baking powder is soda - but with other things added. Baking soda reacts to acidic things (like buttermilk) because it's a base (slightly bitter.) Little hard to explain, but it's really easy. Baking powder is sort of in the middle. It has an acid and a base, and is very neutral.





In a cookie recipe, baking soda is used.





In a recipe, all the ingredients react together, so if you change one ingredient, you have to change others too, or the quantity. Swapping powder for soda will not get you the right cookies that are supposed to be made from the recipe.





So you CAN substitute them, but it's just easier to go and buy some soda








Instead of stocking up on baking powder, I always keep baking soda and cream of tartar on hand. When I am unexpectedly out of baking powder, I make my own single acting leavening by combing 1 part baking soda with 2 parts cream of tartar. These ratios are by volume as you might have known.
Soda is a combo of powder and cream of tarter. So you may be able to use the soda. It will be puffier, just remember it may also alter the taste.
no, baking soda needs an acid for the rise, i would say buttermilk but since its vegan I don't know what your using for the liquid. you can mix baking soda with creme of tarter
totally different.

No comments:

Post a Comment