Thursday, January 7, 2010

Is it bad for baby's skin to use baby oil & powder for diaper changes? What do you use?

I have been a doctor for 15 years and have been asked this question a million times. Is it bad for the baby? NO. Is to good for the baby? No evidence says otherwise.





It is best that you let the first layer of your babies skin flake off (the first 3 weeks after birth.) After that there is nothing wrong with using baby oil/lotion.





Be VERY careful with baby powder....the particles of the powder are very small and if gotten into you baby鈥檚 lungs, this could cause coughing and in severe inhalation even asthma.





I have 4 children and we always used Johnson's baby lotion on them after the 1-month mark. If they had a diaper rash.....good old Desitin is the best bet. Hope this helps!Is it bad for baby's skin to use baby oil %26amp; powder for diaper changes? What do you use?
I use petrolium jelly. Have yet to get a single rash!!!Is it bad for baby's skin to use baby oil %26amp; powder for diaper changes? What do you use?
generally i didnt use anything on my daughters bum. im going on baby number 2 and i think ill stick with what i did for my first. just a clean bum, and if she had a rash forming i just used vasaline on her skin and powder in the diaper. the powder soaked up extra wetness while the vasaline protected from farther irritasion.
They say that baby powder is, but as long as you dont cake it on and it goes up into their nose you will be fine. I never used that during the winter though. I would use that is the summer to help with heat rashes. As for the oil, I would not use that as a barrier on their bottom. If you want something cheap that works wonders try using vaseline. It keeps the bottom smooth, and the pee and poo from getting through. Just be sure that when you change the diaper you get in every nook and cranny down there or nothing will help. Good luck hun :)
No it is not harmful to babys skin to use baby oil. It moisturizes their skin. I use it for infant massage on my daughters feet, legs and arms. She loves it. I've used it to soothe chapped skin on her bum too. I was told not to use powder by my pediatricin because the baby often times inhales it and it's not good for their lungs. I don't really think it's too big of a problem but I decided to just use liquid powder instead because it made less of a mess.
I've never heard that before.
I don't use anything. If it looks like she has a rash then I use special cream for baby rashes. I haven't had a problem yet...just wipe your babe down well.
I never used either. Instead spend your money on good wipes and diapers. I use huggies wipes and pampers swaddlers. I change the babies asap and have never had to deal with diaper rashes.
It is not necessary.


I don't use anything and only diaper rash cream when necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment